- The craftsmanship competition mainly observes the construction of the costume and the similarity to the character.
- It is not possible to apply with a costume that is not made by the competitor.
- Competitors can get help from others in parts or accessories of the costumes, but the jury must be informed about this.
- You can only apply with official illustrations of officially published characters (manga, anime, film, video game, book cover, etc.) or internationally recognized fanarts of these official characters.
- You cannot reapply with a costume, which has been already designated for reward in any event we organize.
- The minimum age to apply to this competition is 14 years.
- The costume must be safe to move in it (take the stairs to the stage, move on the stage etc.). If the jury or the organizers think that your costume might cause you or your surroundings any damage, they can refuse to let you on stage.
- The competition is up to 30 individual application.
- Stage Time: 30-60 seconds
- Do not litter on the stage, if you drop anything during your performance, pick it up at the end!
- Bringing firearms and/or real stabbing/cutting weapon to the event is strictly forbidden!
- Using fire or pyrotechnic device during the competitions is strictly prohibited!
- Using liquids on stage is prohibited!
- We check the files which were submitted during registration, but the organizers are not liable for a defective or poorly edited content.
- If there is any technical error in the submitted files, we will ask for corrections via e-mail. If the corrected version is not sent until the application deadline, the application will be considered invalid.
- Since the event is not age-restricted, each performance which would be considered age-restricted in accordance with the laws in force will be disqualified from the competition.
Place and date of application
- You can apply to the competition on the mondocon.hu website. The registration closes one week before the event (09th April 2023, 23:59), after that the application cannot be altered.
- It is recommended to apply as soon as possible, so if something is needed to be corrected, you will have time for that!
- If you apply as a group, only one member of you need to register your team, but please list the names of the team members and their email address in the comment section.
Check-in / get-in
- Competitors need to provide their tickets themselves.
- Look for the MondoCon staff at the gates. They will help you to get your ticket – if you don’t have it yet- and get in faster. (You can find them near the VIP line under a “cosplay” titled flag)
- We would disqualify those who do not appear in time or spend more time on stage than is allowed.
|Gates open||Deadline to check in by the changing rooms||Deadline to arrive to the stage|
- If someone cannot attend the event, but registered, please inform the organizers through the registration system or e-mail <firstname.lastname@example.org> no later than the closing date for registration! (09th April 2023, 23:59)
- If the contestant did not attend at two consecutive events and did not inform the organizers about his/her absence in time, the organizers may decide to exclude the contestant from these competitions.
Requested data and files
Information we need
- Real (civil) name
- e-mail address (regularly watched and reliable)
- character name, source (anime / game / series / other name)
- if it is a fanart, based on a real character source, we need the character’s name, the source (anime/game/series) and the name of the artist with a link to his/her page (e.g.: Ariel – The Little Mermaid – Hannah Alexander artwork – https://hannah-alexander.deviantart.com/)
- Name your files based on your name you or your group name.
- The file name should not contain accents, capital letters and special characters. Instead of a space, use underscore. (Eg .: Peter Wade -> peter_wade)
- One reference image of the character must be uploaded. This will be projected on stage as a background image.
- This image has to be colorful and it must show the full image of the character. The image can be edited, assembled from multiple images, but cannot be recolored!
- It is worth to choose an image where the details are clearly visible (for example, multi-view picture montage).
- If it’s possible choose a horizontal picture, because it is more preferable for a stage background.
- Minimum resolution should be 1280×720, but up to 2 MB.
- You will need a music to your performance which we can play while you are on stage.
- Whatever you wish to play in your music, edit it in the music because we cannot stop it for you.
- The file length cannot be longer than the length of the performance. (Individual craftsmanship music minimum 30, maximum 60 seconds, group craftsmanship minimum 60 to 120 seconds)
- You don’t have to fill all the given time if you planned a shorter performance. Based on our experience, a shorter show can be more impressive.
- It is mandatory to write the length of the music in the file name. (Eg .: 40-second music -> kovacs_bela_00_40.mp3).
- Extra request can be written here (eg .: light requests, decoration requests etc.)
- Light types: solid color (RGB color scheme), multicolored (eg fire effect), flickering. You can also set the brightness as a percentage.
- We will try to fulfill the requests within reasonable limits.
- Decoration: make sure to write us
- the list of the items you wish to put on stage
- if you need any help in the packing
- how much time would it take
- Putting everything on stage has to take maximum 30 seconds!
- Only MondoCon staff members are authorized to help you put your decorations on stage.
- If you spread something on stage (confetti, dust, etc.), use only small quantities and let us know about it so we can schedule a cleaning time after your turn if necessary.
- You may bring one person – from the same gender – to help you get dressed.
- The dresser must have a valid ticket, otherwise we cannot let him/her in.
- If you wish to bring a dresser, let us know in advance and do not forget to send us his/her civilian name, otherwise we cannot let him/her in the changing room!
- Dressers are allowed to accompany you only, when you have a very sophisticated costume which we will decide based on the reference image, and we have the right to refuse this requirement.
- First the competitors will take part in the prejudging of the jury.
- Every competitor must show up at the prejudging, if you do not appear, you cannot participate in the competition.
- The jury is mostly interested in the techniques you used to create your costume.
- You will only have two minutes to explain how you created your costume.
- Since the jury members are experienced cosplayers, we recommend you to draw attention to the special details of your cosplay.
- We suggest you to consider in advance what you want to say about your dress, but be prepared for the fact that the jury will ask questions as well.
- The jury may ask how you built the individual parts, and if you say that you made them yourself, but you do not know how to explain it, the jury has the right to exclude you from the tournament.
- Then comes the part when you will show your costume on stage.
- Individual participants spend 30-60, the group spend 60-120 seconds on the stage.
- On the stage the contestants will perform in an order, which they received in advance, but this may change on the day of the event. The staff members will tell you when it’s your turn.
- After the hosts announced you the technicians will start a 5-10 seconds long puffer video.
- You may go up on stage during this time, and when this is over, the music starts, what you uploaded and the reference image appears.
- If you need more time, than 10 seconds to get on the stage, please let us know in the comment section of the application form.
The winners will be announced on stage during the awards ceremony.
- Best Costume – This award is given to the contestant whose costume is the most spectacular and most similar to the original.
- Best character similarity – This award will be those who can provide the best overall picture and behavior of the character, even if the costume is not the best.
- Best makeup (optional) – This award is given to competitors who did the best job with their make up or special effects to improve their overall appearance.
- Best newbie – those competitors can win this award, who has never won any craftsmanship award at the event in the recent years and made some extremely successful job (clothes, accessories, makeup, character similarities). This does not mean that they cannot win in the other categories, only that the veterans cannot win in this category.
- Best show – Those receive this award, who give a little spice to their show. It could be a little dance / monologue / scene in harmony with their portrayed character. (Ref: EuroCosplay competitors)
- Audience’s favorite – Those will win this award, who get the most votes from the audience.